Pet dog swallows Nintendo game cartridge, emergency surgery required
A companion dog has undergone emergency surgery after swallowing a Nintendo video game cartridge in Scotland on Wednesday.
The dog, a four-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier named Rocco, began to vomit and refused to eat, after which his owners took him to a local veterinary hospital. An x-ray of the dog showed a rectangular object in its small intestine. Emergency surgery was performed and vets found a Nintendo DS cartridge. The dog went out Thursday morning after an overnight stay.
The dog’s owner, however, said he had no idea where the animal got the game from because he didn’t own any.
Sean Johnston, the dog’s owner, said: “He was not behaving at all and we were concerned he had eaten an ear of corn, but we were so shocked when the vet said it was from a video game. We don’t own a Nintendo or anything like that, so we don’t know where he got it from.
“He’s a rescue dog and we’ve only had him for about six months, so the only thing we can think about is that he was from his previous owners – who knows how long he’s been. the. Even though we haven’t had him for so long, he’s already been such a part of the family, so we’re delighted to have him back home, ”he added, reported the independent.
The cartridge could have caused a fatal blockage if it had not been processed in time.
Susan Hermit, senior veterinarian, said: “We see dogs eating strange things all the time, but none of us have ever seen anything like it. Objects can sometimes stay in the stomach for a while, but they cause problems when they try to push through the bowels, which are much narrower.
“It was a good job that Sean brought Rocco in when he did it, as an object of this size trying to pass through his bowels could have caused a fatal blockage or pierced his internal organs,” he added.
The dog was expected to make a full recovery.